cop (informal) a police officer
* the local cop
* Children play cops and robbers
* a narcotics cop
* He pulled out his badge and said he was a cop.
مامور, پليس ، پاسبان
cop verb (copped, copping) spoken informal - British English
to receive something, especially something that you do not want
* I copped all the blame for what happened.
* I hope the others have been copped by the attendants.
به گردن گرفتن, گرفتار شدن, خوردن به
cop off [with] (British English - informal)
to meet someone and start a [email protected] relationship with them
* The hero eventually cops off with the princess.
بوسیدن, نوازش کردن
cop out (informal) to not do something that someone thinks you should do
* As far as I’m concerned, she’s copped out and joined the rat race.
قول شكني کردن ، خلف وعده کردن
cop-out (informal) something you do or say in order to avoid doing or accepting something
* Ignoring the problem is a cop-out.
* Putting the blame on your parents for your problems is a cop-out.
قول شكني ، خلف وعده ، عهد شكني
cop a buzz (spoken informal - American English)to feel the effects of taking illegal drugs or drinking alcohol
He copped a buzz in the party
مست کردن, نشئه شدن
cop a feel (spoken informal - American English)
to touch someone in a [email protected] way when they do not want you to, usually followed by a slap.
Susan was looking so great that I got behind her in line and copped a feel, she immediately turned around and slapped me.
دست مالی کردن (سینه یا ک.ون)
cop a plea (spoken informal - American English)
to agree to say you are guilty of a crime in order to receive a less severe punishment
* Dunn copped a plea to avoid going to jail.
* Duckett copped a plea to avoid going to jail.
اقرار به جرم کردن
cop it (spoken informal - British English)
1) to be punished or spoken to angrily because you have done something wrong
* You’ll cop it when Mum finds out!
* It's me who cops it if the Sarge finds us.
2) Deal with it or take the blame
Adam had to cop it after Jennifer spilled the beans.
به گردن گرفتن, سر و كار داشتن
3) get what you want; buy drugs
Go and cop that bike
به چنگ آوردن ، كش رفتن؛ خریدن (مواد مخدر)
4) to be killed
cop shop (British English - informal) a police station
* They've got her at Macclesfield cop shop.
كلانترى ، ايستگاه پليس ، پاسگاه
suicide by cop (American English) an occasion when someone deliberately threatens a police officer in order to make the police officer shoot, as a way of committing suicide
Did you hear about Joe? He went out by suicide by cop.
خودکشی با تحریک پلیس
it’s a fair cop (British English - spoken) used humorously when someone has discovered that you have done something wrong and you want to admit it
* Do you want me to say that it's a fair cop or something?
به گردن گرفتن, اعتراف کردن
not be much cop (British English - informal) to not be very good
* They say he’s not much cop as a coach.
نه چندان خوب, متوسط
cop hold of something (Spoken Informal - British English)
to tell someone to hold something
* Cop hold of the other end, will you?
در دست داشتن ، گرفتن
Cop an attitude (Spoken - American English)
to behave in a way that is not nice, especially by showing that you think you are better or more intelligent than other people
The students tried to cop an attitude with the new teacher.
پز دادن, قیافه گرفتن
1- to receive or suffer something unpleasant
* He copped all the hassle after the accident
به سرش امدن, خوردن به
2- to notice something
Cop a load of this ( = Listen to this)
فهميدن ، درك كردن